All Outta Peppermint
A Festive All Outta Bubblegum Hack
All Outta Peppermint is a festive take on the quick and silly one shot game, All Outta Bubble Gum, created by Jeffrey Grant and Michael Sullivan. I had come up with the idea for All Outta Peppermint after hearing a one shot of All Outta Elder Signs during International Podcast Month and deciding I wanted to do a similar idea for a holiday one shot for my group.
I came here to be Festive and Eat Peppermint. And I'm All Outta Peppermint.
What You Need
- A Big Bag of Peppermint Candies - Or something else festive to eat
- Ten Sided Dice
- Eggnog - Alcoholic for added silly
- Other Snacks - So players are less tempted to eat their Peppermint
Characters in All Outta Peppermint have one stat - Peppermint. At the start of the game, hand out eight pieces of peppermint to all of the players. Characters Peppermint score is equal to the number of peppermint candies a player has sitting in front of them.
Characters can attempt two types of actions in All Outta Peppermint, "Being Festive" and "Everything Else"
- Being Festive - Any action which falls under the broad category of "Being Festive" is resolved by rolling a d10. If the number rolled is greater than the amount of Peppermint the character has left, then the character succeeds the task.
- Everything Else - Any action which does not fall under the broad category of "Being Festive" is resolved by rolling a d10. However, in this case, you wish to roll is equal to or less than the amount of Peppermint the character has left, then the character succeeds the task.
- Bah! Humbug! - This is an action against the players. If someone tries to resist their festive charm, they must make a "Bah! Humbug!" roll against them. Roll a d10, if the result is equal to or lower than the number of peppermint that player has left, the person making the "Bah! Humbug!" roll resists the festive charm and continues being a Scrooge.
Whenever you fail an "Everything Else" action, you lose a piece of Peppermint (go ahead, eat it!). You may also chose to eat a piece of Peppermint before the roll to ensure success on the action.
If someone else succeeds a roll of "Bah! Humbug!" against you, you also lose a piece of Peppermint.
When you eat your last piece of Peppermint, you are officially All Outta Peppermint. You find yourself no longer able to do "Everything Else". Simple tasks, such as opening a door or walking down the stairs, are completely lost to you. However, it seems that everywhere you turn, there is some object of festivity nearby, always within your reach, allowing almost everything you do to have a festive twist to it.
You automatically succeed any "Being Festive" action. You are now an unstoppable ball of Festive energy just waiting to burst at the seams and bring festive cheer to everyone around you, whether they want it or not. You cannot help but use every action you take to get everyone around you in the mood for the holidays.
The only thing someone can do to slow you down is by being such a Scrooge that they roll a 10 on an "Bah! Humbug!" roll against you. This gives you one more piece of Peppermint. But fear not, you will quickly regain your festive cheer!
Being Festive Action - Let's say you have 5 pieces of peppermint and want to help someone put up their holiday decorations, or just do it for them. You can roll a d10. If the result is a 6 or above, you have no problem finding the supplies needed to decorate the house.
Everything Else Action - Let's say you have 8 pieces of peppermint and want to start the car. You can roll a d10. If the result is 8 or below, you successfully start the car. However, if you roll a 9 or 10, you must eat a piece of peppermint, making it harder to complete normal tasks. If you want to ensure success, you can chose to eat a piece of peppermint instead of rolling and automatically succeed.
Bah! Humbug! Action - Let's say you have 3 pieces of peppermint and want to get people together to go carolling, so you take a "Being Festive" action to get them to go with you and succeed. If someone in the group is being a Scrooge, they can take the "Bah! Humbug" action to resist the attempt to go carolling. They roll a d10. If the result is a 3 or lower, they continue being a Scrooge and you must eat a peppermint.
All Outta Bubblegum, copyright 2001, Michael "Epoch" Sullivan and Jeffrey Grant.
/u/KarbonMarx - Who I was able to find the full text for All Outta Bubblegum from.